The Governor of Ondo State, Rotimi Akeredolu, has said the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) was not responsible for the attack of worshippers at St Francis Catholic Church, Owo in Ondo state.
The federal government had on Thursday said that ISWAP was behind the Sunday attack that led to the death of many persons.
But reacting to the pronouncement during a zoom interaction with a Swiss-based Christian human rights Organisation, Christian Solidarity International (CSI), Governor Akeredolu pointed out that the group was known to take responsibility for its attacks and always owned up to any attack perpetrated by its members.
”The statement is too hasty. I take their conclusion with a pinch of salt. ISWAP doesn’t hide its attackS. If they have done it, they would have owned up. We are yet to know and our security people are still on their trail”, he said.
Speaking further, the governor noted that the Southwest region had been a peaceful haven before the horrific attack.
He said despite the attack on the psyche of the people, the people of the state are indomitable and ready to fight insecurity.
“Government is determined to help the victims of the attack, particularly those who lost their loved ones and those on admission in the hospital.
“We have a plan to help the victims of the attack. Including those who lost their lives and those who are in the hospitals. Deliberately, we have people who have offered the state government some assistance. Some people have donated to the Catholic”, he stated.
Akeredolu lamented that the present security architecture in the country can not provide security for lives and property.
“A single police command can not guarantee safety in this country. We must have state police now.Amotekun suffers a lot of limitations in getting all the equipment we need to fight these criminals.
The governor commended the international community for their reaction to the killing in Owo, saying their reaction was unprecedented.