Hundreds of people living at Sharada Quarters in Kano State were reportedly hospitalized after inhaling toxic substances from a cylinder dismantled by some metal scrappers, on Friday.
Metronetworknews gathered that the victims numbering over 201 persons were rushed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital, Sharada Industrial Hospital and Ja’en Hospital, for treatment.
The Territorial Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency in Kano, Nuradeen Abdullahi, who confirmed the incident on Saturday, said “The cylinder chemical explosion occurred on Friday at about 4:00pm, at Sharada Industrial Area”.
He further said the chemicals contained in the cylinder escaped into the air and made those who inhaled it become unconscious.
“The victims were suffocated and unconscious”.